Last updated on 28th of December 2022
At Hawaya, your privacy is a top priority. Your privacy is at the core of the way we design and build the services and products you know and love, so that you can fully trust them and focus on building meaningful connections.
We appreciate that you put your trust in us when you provide us with your information and we do not take this lightly
Our commitment to privacy.
We design all of our products and services with your privacy in mind. We involve experts from various fields, including legal, security, engineering, product design and others to make sure that our decisions are taken with the utmost respect for your privacy.
Our commitment to transparency.
Our commitment to security.
We have teams dedicated to keeping your data safe and secure. We constantly update our security practices and invest in our security efforts to enhance the safety of your information.
- WHO WE ARE
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
- CROSS-BORDER DATA TRANSFERS
- YOUR RIGHTS
- HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- JOB CANDIDATES, CONTRACTORS AND VENDOR REPRESENTATIVES
- HOW TO CONTACT US
3) INFORMATION WE COLLECTIt goes without saying, we can’t help you develop meaningful connections without some information about you, such as basic profile details and the types of people you’d like to meet. We also collect information about your use of our services such as access logs, as well as information from third parties, like when you access our services through your social media account or when you upload information from your social media account to complete your profile. If you want additional info, we go into more detail below. Information you give us You choose to give us certain information when using our services. This includes:
- When you create an account, you provide us with at least your login credentials or phone number, as well as some basic details necessary for the service to work, such as your gender and date of dirth
- When you complete your profile, you can share with us additional information, such as details on your personality, lifestyle, interests and other details about you, as well as content such as photos and videos. To add certain content, like pictures or videos, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album.
- When you subscribe to a paid service or make a purchase directly from us (rather than through a platform such as iOS or Android), you provide us or our payment service provider with information, such as your debit or credit card number or other financial information.
- When you participate in surveys, focus groups or market studies, you give us your insights into our products and services, responses to our questions and testimonials.
- When you choose to participate in our promotions, events or contests, we collect the information that you use to register or enter.
- If you contact our customer care team, we collect the information you give us during the
- If you share with us information about other people (for example, if you use contact details of a friend for a given feature), we process this information on your behalf in order to complete your
- Of course, we also process your chats with other users as well as the content you publish, as necessary for the operation of the services.
- Users Users may provide information about you as they use our services, for instance as they interact with you or if they submit a report involving you.
- Social Media You may decide to share information with us through your social media account, for instance if you decide to create and log into your Hawaya account via your social media or other account (e.g., Facebook, Google or Apple) or to upload onto our services information such as photos from one of your social media accounts (e.g., Facebook, Instagram…).
- Affiliates Hawaya is part of the Match Group family of businesses. Match Group considers the safety and security of users a top priority. If you were banned from another Match Group service, your information can be shared with us to allow us to take necessary actions, including closing your account or preventing you from creating an account on our services.
- Other Partners We may receive information about you from our partners, where Hawaya ads are published on a partner’s service (in which case they may pass along details on a campaign’s success). Where legally allowed, we can also receive information about suspected or convicted bad actors from third parties as part of our efforts to ensure our users’ safety and security.
- Usage InformationUsing the services generates data about your activity on our services, for instance how you use them (e.g., when you logged in, features you’ve been using, actions taken, information shown to you, referring webpages address and ads that you interacted with) and your interactions with other users (e.g., users you connect and interact with, when you exchanged with them, number of messages you send and receive).
- Device Information We collect information from and about the device(s) you use to access our services, including hardware and software information such as IP address, device ID and type, apps settings and characteristics, app crashes, advertising IDs (which are randomly generated numbers that you can reset by going into your device’ settings), identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify a device or browser.
- Other Information with your Consent If you give us permission, we can collect your precise geolocation (latitude and longitude). The collection of your geolocation may occur in the background even when you aren’t using the services if the permission you gave us expressly permits such collection. If you decline permission for us to collect your precise geolocation, we will not collect it. Similarly, if you consent, we may collect photos and videos (for instance, if you want to publish a photo or video).
- Additionally, if you choose to participate in our Selfie Verification feature, we collect your face geometry data, which may be considered biometric data in some jurisdictions, to verify that you’re the real you. You can learn more about Selfie Verification and how we process your face geometry data here.
5) HOW WE USE INFORMATIONThe main reason we use your information is to deliver and improve our services. Additionally, we use your info to help keep you safe, and to provide you with advertising that may be of interest to you. Read on for a more detailed explanation of the various reasons for which we use your information, together with practical examples.
- To administer your account and provide our services to you
- Create and manage your account
- Provide you with customer support and respond to your requests
- Complete your transactions
- Communicate with you about our services
- To help you connect with other users
- Recommend you other users to meet
- Show users’ profiles to one another
- To operate advertising and markeing compaigns
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, discounts or other offers
- Perform and measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns on our services and marketing campaigns promoting Hawaya on and off our services
- Communicate with you about products or services that we believe may interest you
- To improve our services and develop new ones
- Administer focus groups, market studies and surveys
- Review interactions with customer care teams to improve our quality of service
- Understand how users typically use the services to improve them (for instance, we may decide to change the look and feel or even substantially modify a given feature based on how users react to it)
- Develop new features and services (for example, we may decide to build a new interests-based feature further to requests received from users).
- To prevent, detect and fight fraud or other illegal or unauthorized activities
- Communicate to users what we’ve done as a result of their reports.
- To ensure legal compliance
- Comply with legal requirements
- Assist law enforcement
- Provide our service to you: The reason we process your information for purposes A and B above is to perform the contract that you have with us. For instance, as you go about using our service to build meaningful connections, we use your information to maintain your account and your profile, make it viewable to other users and recommend other users to you and to otherwise provide our free and paid features.
- Legitimate interests: We process your information for purposes C, D and E above, based on our legitimate interest. For instance, we analyze users’ behavior on our services to continuously improve our offerings, we suggest offers we think might interest you and promote our own services, we process information to help keep our users safe and we process data where necessary to enforce our rights, assist law enforcement and enable us to defend ourselves in the event of a legal action.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations: We process your information for purpose F above where it is necessary for us to comply with applicable laws and regulations and evidence our compliance with applicable laws and regulations. For example, we retain traffic data and data about transactions in line with our accounting, tax and other statutory data retention obligations
6) HOW WE SHARE INFORMATIONSince our goal is to help you make meaningful connections, the main sharing of users’ information is, of course, with other users. We also share some users’ information with service providers and partners who assist us in operating the services, with other Match Group companies for specified reasons as laid out below and, in some cases, legal authorities. Read on for more details about how your information is shared with others.
- With other users
- With our service providers and partners
- With our affiliates
- to make all Match Group platforms safer and enable us to address (e.g, ban) bad actors found on one platform also on others.
- for them to assist us in data processing operations, as service providers, upon our instructions and on our Their assistance may include technical processing operations, such as data hosting and maintenance, customer care, marketing and targeted advertising, analytics, finance and accounting assistance, improving our service, securing our data and systems and fighting against spam, abuse, fraud, infringement and other wrongdoings.
- in order to improve your chances at building significant connections with others, we may make you visible on other Match Group services or allow you to benefit from cross-platform functionalities. We will of course comply with applicable law and, where relevant, notify you of any such opportunity and allow you to agree or to Examples of such opportunities may include the creation of a new service within Match Group, addressing a specific demographic that we think might be interesting to you based on your profile.
- for other legitimate business purposes including corporate audit, analysis and consolidated reporting, where and as allowed under applicable laws.
- For corporate transactions
- With law enforcement / when required by law
- To enforce legal rights
- With your consent or at your request
7) CROSS-BORDER DATA TRANSFERSThe sharing of information laid out in Section 6 involves cross-border data transfers to the United States of America and other jurisdictions that may have different laws about data processing. When we transfer personal information outside of the EEA, the United Kingdom, Switzerland or other countries which data protection laws have been deemed adequate by the European Commission or other competent governmental body, we use standard contract clauses (standard contractual clauses are commitments between companies transferring personal data, binding them to protect the privacy and security of your data) or other appropriate transfer mechanism. We are currently in the process of reviewing transfers to our vendors and associated legal basis further to the recent Court of Justice for the European Union’s ruling on transfers of personal data to the USA.
8) YOUR RIGHTSWe want you to be in control of your information, so we want to remind you of the following options and tools available to you:
- Access / Update tools in the service. Tools and account settings can help you access, rectify or remove information that you provided to us and that’s associated with your account directly within the service. If you have any questions on those tools and settings, please contact our customer care team for help here .
- Device permissions. Mobile platforms can have permission systems for specific types of device data and notifications, such as phone contacts, pictures, location services, push notifications and advertising identifiers. You can change your settings on your device to either consent or oppose the collection or processing of the corresponding information or the display of the corresponding notifications. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose functionality.
- Uninstall You can stop all information collection by an app by uninstalling it using the standard uninstall process for your device. Remember that uninstalling an app does NOT close your account. To close your account, please use the corresponding functionality on the service
- Account closure. You can close your account by using the corresponding functionality directly on the service.
- Reviewing your information. Applicable privacy laws may give you the right to review the personal information we keep about you (depending on the jurisdiction, this may be called right of access, right of portability, right to know or variations of those terms). You can exercise this right by putting in such a request here [Link to Section “HOW TO CONTACT US” or to a specific customer care form for Brands who do not have a self-service tool for access requests / Link to the self-service tool for those who do].
- Updating your information. If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion, object to or restrict its processing, please contact us here [Link to Section “HOW TO CONTACT US” or to a specific customer care form].
9) HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATIONWe keep your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes Section 5 and as permitted by applicable law. If you decide to stop using our services, you can close your account and your profile will stop being visible to other users. Note that we will close your account automatically if you are inactive for a period of two years. After your account is closed, we will delete your personal information, as laid out below:
- To protect the safety and security of our users, we implement a safety retention window of three months following account closure. During this period, we keep your information in the event that it might be necessary to investigate unlawful or harmful conducts. The retention of information during this safety retention window is based on our legitimate interest as well as that of potential third-party
- Once the safety retention window elapses, we delete your data and only keep limited information for specified purposes, as laid out below:
- We maintain limited data to comply with legal data retention obligations: in particular, we keep transaction data for 10 years to comply with tax and accounting legal We may also need to keep “traffic data” / logs for one year to comply with legal data retention obligations. We also keep records of consents users give us for five years to evidence our compliance with applicable law.
- We maintain limited information on the basis of our legitimate interest: we keep customer care records and supporting data as well as imprecise location of download/purchase for five years to support our customer care decisions, enforce our rights and enable us to defend ourselves in the event of a claim, profile data for one year in anticipation of potential litigation, for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, and data necessary to prevent users who were banned or people who were found to be under the age of 21 from opening a new account, to ensure the safety and vital interests of our users.
- Finally, we maintain information on the basis of our legitimate interest where there is an outstanding or potential issue, claim or dispute requiring us to keep information (in particular if we receive a valid legal subpoena or request asking us to preserve data (in which case we would need to keep the data to comply with our legal obligations) or if data would otherwise be necessary as part of legal proceedings).